So, you’ve decided to ship your car across the states to save yourself time and money. Now, it’s time to determine which auto shipping company to choose and start getting your car ready for the journey. Below, we’ll show you the best tips for shipping your car so that you can get your vehicle to its new destination without the stress!
1. Do Your Research
When it comes to choosing an auto shipping company, there are a few things you’ll need to consider. First, you will want to do some general research on the car shipping companies to find one that can meet your personal needs.
How to Research:
- Check Reviews
- Look on multiple sites to ensure you get a clear picture of the company’s customer service.
- Look for Competitive Pricing
- Auto-shipping services are standard enough that you should find the expected price range for your vehicle type quickly.
- If it seems too good to be true, it probably is! Scammers try to lure people in by offering prices way below the industry standard. Avoid anyone offering auto shipping for a fee that is significantly below their competitors.
- Call the Companies
- One of the best ways to tell if a company is right for you is by getting on the phone. Once you’ve found a few companies that look like a good fit, give them a call.
- A reputable auto shipping company will be able to answer all of your questions about your car shipping options and any details you are curious about. Additionally, a reliable company will be able to explain, in detail, their car shipping process.
2. Ask Questions
Whether you’re talking to the company on the phone or in person, ask lots of questions. Doing this will help you better understand what to expect from the company and your auto shipping experience.
Questions to Ask:
- Are you fully licensed?
- Are you fully insured?
- Will my car be covered while in transit?
- How long have you been in business?
- Where do you typically ship to and from?
- What should I expect from my car shipping experience?
Any good auto shipping company should be able to answer all of these questions easily—and ask questions of their own concerning your needs and your expectations. Moving a car is a complicated process, so the auto shipping company will need to ask several questions before they can give you an accurate quote for your car shipping service.
3. Book Ahead of Time
Although some companies may be able to accommodate a last-minute booking, it is not a sure thing. To guarantee that you get the shipping dates that work best for your move, try to book your auto transport three or four weeks in advance. This timeframe will give the company time to plan for your accommodations and allow you to prepare your car for shipping.
4. How to Prepare for Shipping
Getting your car ready for shipping is pretty straightforward. The general rule for shipping your car is to remove everything from the car, including GPS systems, radios, anything in the glove box, or any items in the trunk. You don’t want to leave anything of value in the car because it may be damaged by long hours in the heat. Additionally, it may increase the chances of theft, which many auto transport companies work hard to prevent, but can still be a problem if items are left in the cars.
Note: There is no reason a car shipping company should need your vehicle’s registration papers while transporting your vehicle. If a company requires you to leave the papers in your vehicle you may want to switch companies.
You should leave ¼ a tank of gas or less in your vehicle before shipping. This lessens any additional weight that the gas could add to your vehicle and makes it easier to transport.
You should familiarize yourself with your vehicle before dropping it off at the auto transport terminal. Inspect the interior and exterior, take pictures, make a note of existing dents or scratches so that you can ensure your vehicle arrives in the same condition.
Get The Best Rate on Car Shipping﹘ Request a Quote Today
Whether you’re looking to ship your car across the USA or overseas, Preowned Auto Logistics can help! We strive to take the stress out of car shipping and ensure your car gets to you on time every time!
Give us a call at 877.542.1955 and receive a custom quote for your auto transport needs.
Sample Customer Reviews
“Kerri and team made our car transport so easy! Great communication throughout the process, and our car arrived safely even sooner than originally estimated. Excellent service at a fair price. Highly recommend!”
– Melissa Brown
“We moved out of the state of Massachusetts to Florida last week and needed to have one of our vehicles shipped down too. I was a bit nervous about having my auto shipped and even more nervous about the length of travel. I was compelled to write a review because we had an amazing experience with Preowned Auto Logistics from start to finish. The communication was ongoing every step of the way, and our car was picked up and dropped off just as promised. It came right off the trailer looking just perfect. I really enjoyed chatting with several staff during the course of this endeavor. If you are looking to ship your vehicle, may you find peace in my personal experience. They are well organized, and you will feel that too.”
– Andra Arlington